The CUNY Humanities Alliance invites anyone with a university or institutional affiliation to join our growing, collaborative community. Members of LaGuardia Community College, the Graduate Center, and other CUNY campuses are especially welcome to participate and become engaged with the work we are doing.
In order to join, you will need to be ready to fill out your Account Details and Profile Details. Your Account Details will consist of a username and password, and your Profile Details will include some information about you and your affiliations.
Step 1 — Click the “Join!” Link
Navigate to the CUNY Humanities Alliance home page at http://archive.cunyhumanitiesalliance.org and click on the “Join!” link at the top of the blue menu bar, under the banner image.
Once you click the link, you’ll be taken to the Registration page.
Step 2 — Register for the Site
On the Registration page, you’ll be asked to complete your Account Details and Profile Details.
The Account Details ask for the following:
- Username — this can be whatever you want, you may want to go with your first initial and your last name
- Email Address — this can also be whatever email address you regularly check, but you may want to opt for an institutional email address
- Password and secondary field to Confirm Password — to ensure that your password is secure, you can use a password generator
- CAPTCHA Code — this field is used to ensure that you are not spamming the registration system
As you complete the Profile Details, you will have the options to limit who can or cannot view the details of your Profile. This ensures that your privacy is protected to your specifications. You can toggle each field by clicking the “Change” button as shown in the screenshot above.
Once you do so, you’ll be able to select who can see each field of your Profile, as shown in the screenshot below.
The Profile Details ask for the following:
- First Name — use your preferred first name
- Last Name — use your preferred last name
- University or Institution — enter the name of your university or institution
- Professor — if you are currently a student signing up for the site due to your professor asking you to do so, enter your professor’s name in this field
- Title or Short Bio — in this field, you can enter your title, such as “Humanities Alliance Fellow,” or “LaGuardia Community College Student,” and you can include a brief bio if you choose to do so (e.g. “Humanities Alliance Fellow and Philosophy PhD Student working on epistemology”).
- Long Bio — here you can elaborate on your short bio by including the title of your dissertation, or stating what you do outside of your studies (e.g. volunteering).
Once you have filled out all of the required fields, click the “Complete Sign Up” button.
Step 3 — Activate Account
Once you complete registration and sign up, you’ll receive confirmation that you have successfully created your account, as shown in the screenshot below.
To begin using the site, you should check with the email address that you signed up with. You should see an email with a link to activate the account. The email you receive will look similar to the email shown in the screenshot below.
From the email, you can click on the link or copy and paste the URL into your browser’s address bar. Once you do so, you should receive a confirmation similar to the following:
At this point, your account is active and you’ll receive a secondary email that indicates that this is the case.